Magdalena G. Jaladoni Historical Shrine
The house was built around 1950’s; it is generally made of concrete and wood featuring arch windows with panes decorated with transparent colored glasses. The most notable features of the house designed by Magdalena Jalandoni herself with the help of Dominador Asong who drew up the plan. The tower like structure housing the chapel-indicative of a strong and religious character of the great Ilonggo novelist. Contains collections of Magdalena Jalandoni’s works, the 1st Republic Cultural Heritage awardee in Literature in 1969. Magdalena had a different man in mind to marry. He must not only be a very handsome man but he must also possess the soul of an artist. The only person who approached her ideal man was the hero, Dr. Jose Rizal.
Museo Iloilo and Antique Collections
Repository of Iloilo’s Cultural Heritage. Carbon-14 dated fossils, shells and rocks, klaked tools, native pottery, ornamented teeth, jewelry, secondary burial coffin, underwater relics, coins, sculptures, silver crafts, gallery rare pictures and art pieces by Ilonggo artists on display.
Rosendo Mejica Museum
The church is known to be the most beautiful in the whole Western Visayas. It is also affectionately known as the “WomenChurch” because of the sixteen nearly life-size images of female saints occupying the columns on either side of the church’s center aisle. Construction of the church began in 1831 under the administration of Rev. Pablo Montaño and completed under that of Rev. Agapito Buenaflor. The whole structure is supported by posts of “ancient” designs at several areas. The church was famous for paintings of biblical characters during the last half of the 19 the century that it prompted Dr. Jose Rizal, our national hero, to visit.
The Molo façade is lofty with a neo-classical elegance. Gothicized in some of its details, the two-storey façade is composed of the twin belfries in mind, thus, projecting effectively the vertical orientation of the structure.
Built in 1928 and was commissioned by the philanthropist and statesman. Don Vicente Lopez y Villanueva together with his wife, Doña Elena Hofilena y Javelona. Before they built Nelly Garden, the couple lived near the Cathedral, but in constant noise prompted Doña Elena ask her husband to quitter location where she could also indulge in her passion for flowers and gardening. A four hectares of land purchased for 1 peso per square meter from national heroine Patrocinio Gamboa, who was also a very close friend of Doña Elena Engineer Don Mariano Salas motif of the architecture is Classical Cirinthian, but already with touches of Art Deco. The edifice is constructed of reinforced concrete all throughout the two storeys with interiors of line Philippine hardwood. It was named after their eldest daughter Nelly and up to the present.
Two century old house, considered one of the oldest existing houses in Iloilo and where the Javellana Family once resided. One of the family members, Maria Mariquit Javellana lived there with her husband,the former Vice President of the Philippines, Fernando Lopez, Sr.
Lopez Boathouse Mansion
A four-storey white mansion owned by Eugenio H. Lopez. The name “Boathouse” was given by his children. It has been called “Boathouse” bacuase it shares distinct features with a boat. According to Oscar Lopez, the house looks like a battleship complete with portholes. The long veranda of the house can be compared to the viewing deck of the boat. The tower goes up to the Fourth floor viewing deck. The mansion is a “modern affair, sleekly done in an art deco style” designed by Architect Fernando Ocampo Sr. located in Iloilo.
Sanson-Montinola Antilllan House
ANoted as a typical example of Antillan Architecture, the house is “one of the best preserved houses in Jaro”. Though presently looking unkept because of the weeds surrounding it, the still maintains its elegance appearance. The house is situated adjacent to tha campus of the Colegio de San Jose E. Lopez St., Jaro. Owned by Herminia Montinola, the house sits on a sprawling property extending up to the Commission Civil road. The façade of the house has a projecting portion which, in the upper floor, serves as part of the living room, and in the lower floor, serves as vestibular area for the main entrance. There are decorations of carved wood, a Spanish influence. This sometimes serves as venues for fashion shows and other related events.
Graciano Lopez Jaena Shrine
Located at cor. Lopez Jaena-Fajardo Sts., Jaro, Iloilo City; birthplace of Graciano Lopez Jaena, founder of ‘La Solidaridad’publication.
Camiña Balay Nga Bato
Formerly Avanceña House at #20 Osmeña St., Arevalo built around 1860’s; it served as general headquarters of the Filipino revolutionaries against the Spanish and American Government.
One of the heritage houses located at BonifacioDriveIloiloCity; constructed in 1928 and was originally owned by Julio Ledesma. The engineer was Eusebio Canto Villanueva, the present owner. The house is a two-storey building made of narra wood, galvanized iron and concrete.
It was that Julio Ledesma’s family owned much money to a Spaniard named Manuel Galalas. Hence, when their lives prospered, they decide to give the house to Galalas as gratitude. It did not take long when the Spaniard decided to sell the house. Villanueva took interest in the offer and bought the house at a reasonable price.
Used as Japanese headquarters during the WWII where the basement was used as a torture chamber for Filipinos caught during the war.
Juan Ledesma House
A heritage house in a 5,000 square meter lot at Bonifacio Drive, built in 1930 at estimated cost Php 80,000. A two-storey building with basement. Ther are four big rooms with bath tub in the second floor while the ground floor was utilized as iving and dining rooms and kitchen. The building was occupied by the Japanese army during the war. And after the war, the hose was again used by the U.S. Army is its headquarters.
The house is rumored to be haunted; hence no occupants dare to stay long. It was in 1990, the interior was renovated and transformed into a hotel with the name “The Castle”
Colegio de San Jose
One of the oldest existing educational institutions in the province. It is located in E. Lopez St. Jaro, Iloilo City. It was the first Catholic School for girls in Western Visayas. On May 1, 1872 the Daughters of Charity opened a school to provide Chiristian Education for young girls. Formerly situated in a small fenced lot on an ordinary house, and later expanded to its recent site.
Iloilo National High School
One of the largest institutions in the Visayas, located in the district of Jaro. It was founded by American Baptist missionaries in 1905.Its is original name was Jaro Industrial School.The 24- hectare campus, with more than 30 buildings used for classrooms and support facilities. It has remained true to its mission as a Christian institution whose motto is Scientia et Fides (Knowledge and Faith).The beautifully landscaped campus had been declared a tourist destination by the local tourism authority. The city council mentioned CPU as home to the largest library in Western Visayas, the Henry Luce III Library, with more than 200,000 volumes. A non-stock, non-profit Christian institution of higher learning in Iloilo City.
St. Vincente Ferrer Seminary
The 5th and the last seminary founded during Spanish regime by the Augustinian fathers. The Re. Mariano Cuartero, the first bishop of Jaro, founded the seminary in 1869.For the purpose of training priests for the different parishes which at that time were almost entirely under the Augustinian friars. Bishop Cuartero invited the Vicentian Fathers of the province of Madrid, Spain to organize and direct the Jaro Seminary. The construction of the seminary began on march 11, 1871 under the direction of fr. Aniceto Gonzales, one of the pioneer Vicentian priests, who acted as foreman. The place of the construction was fast due to enthusiasm of the Fathers and the seminarians who joined the workers during their free time. They carried by hand the bricks from the river bank, where the banks or wooden boats unloaded them to the place work. Even Bishop Cuartero as seen many a time carrying bricks to construction site. The building was completed in November 1874.
This was erected for her at JaroPlaza to remind the Ilonggos for her heroic deed. On November 28, 1898, the saga of her courage and patriotism took place when she brought to Sta. Barbara, Iloilo the Philippine flag, the first hoisted outside in Luzon, and a saber foe General Martin Delgado. She outsmarted the casadores who were posted along the road to Sta. Barbara to inspect travelers.
Currently the main building of the campus, this historical building is actually the old city hall of IloiloCity. Built more than a decade before the Second World War, this building served the city of Iloilo as its city hall from 1936 till the 50s. The city government donated the building to the university and is still used up to this day.
Augustinians friars from Spain belonging to the Province of the Most Holy Name of Jesus of the4 Philippines founded the University of San Agustin on 1904. It was raised into a university status on March 1, 1953.The Spanish Augustinians were the first Christian missionaries of any religious order to enter the Philippines and begin its conversion to Catholicism. The motto of the privately-owned university is Virtus it Scientia; The University is named in honor of fourth century saint Augustine of Hippo. On February 5, 1917, it was formally incorporated under thename Colegio de San Agustin de Iloilo.
Saint Paul University and Hospital
The university was founded in 1907. It is one of 42 schools owned, managed, and operated by the Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres in the Philippines. The university was previously a women’s college until it finally went co-ed to accommodate male students from the male
college of Ateneo de Tuguegarao that closed down.
The hospital was established in 1909 by the four sisters- Sr. Donatine, Sr. Antoine, Sr. Augustine, Sr. Felix. Now, it has become one of the biggest and famous hospitals in the metropolis.
Old Provincial Capitol
The capitol building in Iloilo referred to as “Casa Real” or the Royal House during the Spanish times was built in 1840. The “Casa Real” was the residence of the alcalde-mayor or governor, the highest Spanish official in Iloilo.
The architectural charater of the Capitol is that of Electricism. The front colonnade composed of pillars is in style of the Greek-Roman.Doric order, visually enhanced by entasis, a technique curving the column shafts.
Iloilo Freedom Grand Stand
Constructed in 1953 immediately after Cong. Rodolfo Ganzon introduced the Iloilo Freedom Bill during the same year.
This historic place in IloiloCity has witnessed many events and gathering social, cultural and political was renovated in 2003 under the administration of Mayor Jerry P. Treñas. The renovation of the Freedom Grandstand was funded by CDF of Sen. John Henry R. Osmena through the efforts of the Mayor and Congressman.
A large outdoor stage located along Iznart St., in Downtown Iloilo. Freedom Grandstand is the main judging area during the annual Dinagyang Festival.